Best Dating Ideas College Students

03:21 0 Comments A+ a-

Dating Ideas College Students

If you are reading this, I will take it that your college/university days are upon you and you would like to get a leg up on the game before you rush into it blindly. I admire that, and wish a lot more people would invest some time into figuring how to conduct themselves to make the most of their time at university/college. Granted, your university experience will be unique, and somewhat determined by your past experiences. The more you know, the better prepared you will be to deal with all that is thrown at you. 

Thanks to the number of college movies that we have all watched, college is earmarked as the time that it all goes down. Our expectations are so high, we expect to be boozing and having wild nights with all sort of girls. We also expect it to be the time that we meet "the one". You should already know that I do not subscribe to the notion of the "one", but that's a different post altogether. Dating ideas college students need to know about. I would like to also take the pleasure of bursting some of your bubbles. I will be as gentle as possible. College days will undoubtedly be some of your best days in this lifetime, so make the most of them. Forge the best of alliances.

My college dating experience


I moved to a new college just before starting university. As you will already know, that's quite an experience in itself. You will meet a lot of new people, define yourself all over again. You get to rewrite your own story, without the burden of a reputation or none of that. 

Have of my time in college was spent helping other guys find their way through the maze that relationships can be. I did end up seeing someone in the end. There is dating, and seeing someone. We were seeing each other. I enjoyed it while it lasted, and don't regret it one bit. We built a lot of memories, shared of lot of amazing moments in equally amazing places. In my books, she'll always be remembered, but, I don't know if that will be the case for her as well. See, we don't talk anymore. 

No, I didn't mess this one up, like I had done to all else before her. Thanks to our busy lives and being based on opposite sides of the country, we never have to run into one another. I don't want to know how that will make me feel. Enough of that crap! That's my college experience. I can guarantee yours will not be similar to mine, for I had done all the partying before college and university. I also went to a college in a smaller city than where I am from, so it just wasn't the same. The clubs were not as good as the ones in my town. To put it lightly, these things no longer tickled my fancy. While others would have crazy nights out, I preferred spending that time and money on dinner dates where possible. Some may argue that the fact that I am not much of a boozer compounded this. 


Should I date while at college/university

Should I date while at college/university 


I don't think dating should be approached from a perspective of "I shall/shan't" do it. It should be, I met someone I want to be with, so I will be with them. Outside of that, you will spend too much time getting your heartbroken by morons who wouldn't get time of day with you, if you were not out to date. If you do meet someone who you really like, again, I will stress, GO FOR IT!! Why not, you are only in college that one time. 

Should I date someone on my course


Time constraints are what usually determine whether or not relationships work out in college/university. Dating someone on your course will mean that they will understand the demands that your work places on you. They will never have moments where they think you are avoiding spending time with them, when you are not. Unless of course, they are just super needy, in which case I'd advise you to steer clear. Ain't no body got time for that in college. 

If they are doing a different course that requires more time commitment than yours, work with them at it. Do some of your work while they do theirs. Join them in the library when you can. Support them through the stressful periods. They should know that they can rely on you. If they are a good man/woman, they'll give their life to keep you around. They don't mass produce men/women like that nowadays. They are limited edition!


Shall I have sex with my college/university mate?


Nice of you to invite me to help you make bedroom decisions, especially those that don't involve me. It's easier to be clearer of thought in such instances. 

Universities and colleges bring people together from all walks of life. You will have different principles, beliefs, faiths, and moral campuses. Be weary of that. You should never feel the need to have sex with someone else if you do not want to. That's essentially rapping yourself! If you are not game, for sex, leave it at that! Of course, he or she may/will find someone else who is game. That's just not the mate you want for yourself long term. You want someone who is willing to meet you halfway, someone who will respect your beliefs, and support you at them. 


Ideas for dates for college students 


Most people I went to college with were stone broke! Yes they could afford their rent most of the times, with a little help here and there from the bank of "mom and dad", but they barely made it month to month. Be mindful of that when planning to date.

It obviously helps if your partner is understanding of your circumstances. You don't want to have to use your rent money to buy an expensive bag or get spoiler put on his car. 

College student first date ideas


Your first date is usually very important in most relationships. You want to make sure that you seal this deal in the longer term, and not end it here. 

  • Don't take her to Mc Donald's or some sort of drive by place, unless she's that kind of girl.
  • Be cautious about inviting her/him to your home for the date. I've had bad stories of people who have been robbed in such cases. And, if she's a conservative kind of girl, she may think you are looking to rush her into the sheets.
  • Consider making it a group date. She brings a friend, you do the same. 
  • First dates don't always have to involve food. I'm trying to save you money here.
  • If she's bringing her friend, make sure you bring a civilised friend as well. Not one of your bottom of the barrel ones. 
  • Pull her aside at the start of the date to make sure you know the status of her friend, and guide your friend's actions. 
  • You don't have to always try to score on your first date. Be classy, my son!

Money saving date ideas for college students


  • Learn to cook. It doesn't take much effort, believe me, I have tried. Whip up some signature dishes every once in a while. Most of those £50 meals only cost about £5 to make. 
  • Stock up on good wine. This was my personal favourite one. You will spend less time out, in bars that cost you a fortune. 
  • It's ok to allow her to pay sometimes, you are a gentleman, we know. You are also broke, and we know that too.
  • While we are on the cooking, take turns to cook when it's date night. It can be in whoever's place has the better kitchen, but take turns. It enhances intimacy. You should also cook together. Try out a new recipe together. Make a mess of it together, if you will.
  • Take her along to something that you would usually do without her. My thing was chess. She learned to play, and came to watch me play. This will also give you an added area of conversation and shared interest.
  • Play a team sport together. Think doubles tennis or something of that sort.
  • Building something together. Watch some craft videos and get cheap material that you can use to try and build it with. Hack, go for recycling material. My friend built a great bedside cabinet from discarded wood. His only cost was a port that he added to it. 
  • Picnics and camping weekends can also save you a ton of cash, but bring invaluable time together. Do some shopping in the grocer and you are good to go. 

The truth is, we will all change in college/university and continue to change in the years after it. However, whomever you become in college is not going to be too far from the person you end up being for the rest of your life. Think about that and take it into your relationships. Older guys will always be on the prowl for younger and naive girls. Don't fall victim to that. I will not go as far as to say that you must not date older guys at all, there are some fine men and women out there that you should not pass up on. 

college dating

Attachment


A lot of people come into college carrying hurt from past relationships into their new ones. You know the old saying "Hurt people, hurt people," yeah you do not want to become a victim. Most relationships started at university/college will not last, so do not go into it with unrealistic expectations. 

You will have people who will break up with you today and be with someone else the next day. It will hurt, you will grow from it. One will grow bitter, while another will take lessons from it into the next relationship. I pray that you will be the latter. 

College is also the best place to start to advocate for the love that you want. Most of us just assume that our lovers will guess what we desire and go on to meet those desires. That is such a ridiculously misguided notion. If you ask me, this is the reason women are the way always said to expect men to read their minds.

Feel free to score a meal or two when you can. Guys will ask you out on dates when they can, go for it. It never hurts to get to know that one extra person. You do not know when or whom you will fall in love with. Be careful not to lead anyone on. If you know for sure that you are not interested, make it clear. College guys like all other guys will have expectations for anything that they give out. Be weary of that. 

If you are already in a relationship with someone back home when you get to university, don't let that become a reason for you to remain locked in. Skype calls are great, but you ought to venture out and have some fun. Hang out with you university friends.

Lastly, not everyone will be monogamous. Most people want to come and have as many experiences as they can at college. You are likely to get cheated on, but that's ok. It's an experience that you need to treasure. You should be as understanding as possible, avoid becoming attached to the wrong person. Learn to love yourself enough to not let yourself be taken advantage of. Determine your own value right from the start, and never let anyone undervalue you.


Let me end this by throwing your stats your way: 

  • 63% of women in college hope to meet their life partner
  • One in every four students has an STI



Would love to hear from you, comment below or ask questions if you have any. I'd also like to hear some of your college dating ideas.