Should we date if we are of different religions?

20:00 0 Comments A+ a-

Can I date someone of a different religion?


I was raised in a Christian home, in a Christian country and as such I would generally meet Christian women. Therefore I have mostly dated Christians. As I have grown older and travelled to various parts of the world, I have met some truly remarkable women. They have been from other parts of the world, and of different religions to me, in some cases. I therefore found myself faced with a conundrum that I had previously never had to deal with. I am Christian, can I date a woman who is not? Hmmm. Well, I have dated a Muslim and have been affiliated with a Hindu girl as well. So my response to this question has been formulated from these experiences.


Can I date someone of a different religion?

Attraction


We cannot choose who we are attracted to. In the last couple of years I have been fighting that notion, which is probably one of the reasons why I have not been as keen in dating. I have been trying to understand why it is that while others go on about women’s bums and boobs I am more drawn to the smiles. Don’t get me wrong, I love boobs, I think they are a phenomenal creation. However, that is not the first thing that grabs my attention about a woman. It’s her smile. Religion has women dressing in all sort of different ways, but I find them all attractive because what I look for is always in eye shot. They can all draw my attention, regardless of their religion.

Home maker


As I have grown older I have begun to realise how amazing Muslim women are as home makers. Some will say “they are oppressed”, which I can agree with in some instances, but not in all. One of the few that I call friends is a Muslim man. His wife is treated like a queen. I am looking for a person to build a home with, and not all females are suitable for this role.

Key differences


When I dated a Muslim girl, she would always check whether I had eaten pork before kissing me. She’d always remark on how disgusting she thought pork was. To this I’d always wonder, how the kissing fits in with her religious views. I guess, I was also on the wrong side of my own religion.

  • You will not agree on food. Unless one of you is willing to compromise.
  • You will not agree on prayer practices. Unless one of you is willing to compromise.
  • In Islam, apostasy is punishable by death. That petrifies me. Your woman/man could be essentially choosing between you and life.
  • Christianity frowns upon such practices as well. The bible says to not be unequally yoked. 
  • In Hinduism it is more or less the same as in Islam. You are to marry within.


Conclusion


What it boils down to is a question of what you are willing to sacrifice. It can be a very complicated affair, choose wisely. Do not let anyone dictate to you, who you are to or not to love. Love is universal. What are your thoughts? If you are going through a similar situation, let’s talk. If you have questions or comments feel free to raise them.